Sunday, November 20, 2011

precious one


"They said you wouldn't let me in...."

Wow. Who are we to decide whether someone else gets into heaven or not? And then to have the audacity to tell other people that they won't get in! And it tends to be communicated in formats like "You are going to hell" or "Homosexuals will burn in hell."

I believe in grace. And I believe that somehow or other, millions and billions who were excluded here on earth will be welcomed into heaven, whether or not they heard about Jesus down here, whether they lived a good life or a bad life or the average life with small moments of brilliance and small moments of depravity that many of us live. I don't know how God will do it, but He can. I'm not saying there's no hell, nor am I saying that no one will end up in hell. I don't know about that. But if millions and billions are going to end up in hell, then that's not the God I want to be following. There we have it – my cards are on the table.

I believe in a big God with arms wide open. If I as an earthly father love my children no matter what, surely my heavenly Father loves us far more no matter what. Does that mean what we do here doesn't matter? Of course not. It matters immensely because what we do down here can help make the world a better place for everyone or a worse place for everyone.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on this....



David Hayward at the Naked Pastor has an interesting cartoon and commentary on this as well: which word doesn't belong?

Interested in reading more about the question of heaven and hell? Check out Rob Bell's new book Love Wins: A Book About Heaven, Hell, and the Fate of Every Person Who Ever Lived.Video: Introduction to Love Wins

2 comments:

  1. Okay, so like a week late. But I was reading the Screwtape Letters recently and CS Lewis comments that God sometimes chooses people that really wanted to do what was right, but never commited themselves to Jesus, and took them into Heaven too. It is a big step for some of us. The whole "No one gets to the Father..." statement seems to go against this. But perhaps Jesus is the Way for more than just those that say they believe in Jesus?

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex:

    I like that idea: "Jesus is the Way for more than just those that say they believe in Jesus."

    To me it speaks of several things -- of Jesus' "wayness" not being affected or cancelled out by whether or not someone believes, of the grace of God, and of God looking at the heart rather than just being interested in whether or not someone has prayed the "sinner's prayer."

    rob

    ReplyDelete